Story URL: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=177518
Story Retrieval Date: 7/22/2014 4:16:15 AM CST
There are five valid defenses for contesting red-light citations, according to the Chicago Department of Transportation:
• The facts alleged in the violation notice are inconsistent or do not support a finding that the Chicago municipal code was violated, which may include weather-related defenses.
• The defendant was issued a traffic ticket in addition to a red-light citation
• The vehicle was an emergency vehicle or part of a funeral procession
• The vehicle was reported stolen
• The defendant was not the owner of the cited vehicle at the time of the citation