Related Links2010 Census Bureau Redistricting Data2010 Census American FactFinderAsian American InstituteRob Paral and Associates
• On Feb. 22, Illinois elected its first Asian alderman, Ameya Pawar, in the 47th Ward.
• The Asian-American population of Illinois has grown to 586,934, a 39 percent increase since 2000.
• 92,304 Asian-Americans reside in DuPage County, making them 10 percent of the county's total population.
• Twelve counties in Illinois experienced 100 percent or more Asian population growth.
• Cook, DuPage and Lake counties had the highest total Asian-American populations of all Illinois counties in 2000, and continue to do so in 2010.
• Cook, Will, DuPage, Lake and Kane each experienced more than 10,000 total population growth in their respective Asian populations.
• Will and Kane counties experienced tremendous growth of their Asian populations, 177 percent and 145 percent respectively. Together, they now are home to more than 8 percent of the total Illinois' Asian-American population, up from 4.35 percent in 2000.
• If Asians were proportionally represented, there would be five Asian-American representatives in the Illinois house and three Asian-Americans in the Illinois Senate.
(Statistics come from the Asian American Institute and are based on the 2010 census)