Story URL: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=185618
Story Retrieval Date: 5/18/2013 5:35:48 PM CST
1. Monitor the weather closely on high-risk days.
2. During a tornado, go into the basement, or a windowless room.
3. Cover your head with pillows, mattresses or cushions.
4. If in a car, do not park under a bridge or overpass.
5. Never try to outrun a tornado in a vehicle.
6. Do not attempt to move severely injured victims unless absolutely necessary.
All tips are courtesy of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.