Story URL: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=194116
Story Retrieval Date: 4/24/2014 12:52:51 AM CST
1. Get your workout on - even 30 minutes of exercise a day can reduce the stress you experience during a long sedentary commute.
2. Munch on something - hunger can lead to frustration, so try to pack a few healthy snacks in the car that you can nosh on while you drive - but make sure to avoid items that require silverware.
3. Jam while you cruise - make a CD, playlist or turn on a music station. Feel-good tunes from your favorite artists can boost your mood.
4. Carpool - having someone to talk to will prevent your mind from brewing on any problems in your life. And if everyone carpooled, there would be less cars on the road to create traffic!
5. The early bird gets the worm - try to leave home a few minutes earlier than you think you'll need to avoid anxiety when the clock is ticking and your meeting begins promptly at 8 a.m. You never know when an accident or bad weather will cause you to get stuck.